At this time (March 2017), we are looking for graduate students, postdoctoral fellows, and staff scientists to work on machine learning projects in medicine, chemistry and biology.
We are looking to train scientific leaders, capable of innovative computational research. Our group is working in close collaboration with leading clinicians and scientists on biomedical imaging, drug toxicity modeling prediction, healthcare data mining, and quantum chemistry. The common thread through all these projects is Deep Learning to solve domain specific problems of high practical and theoretical significance.
- The strongest applicants will already have experience with both computational science (e.g. molecular dynamics, neural networks, machine learning). Graduate students prepared to work very hard will be considered even if they are new to computational science.
- Strong technical writing skills are required. Ideally, especially for postdoctoral applicants, this should be evident in a track record of well-written, peer reviewed papers.
- Must have high proficiency in programming. Ideally, especially for postdoctoral applicants, this should be evident in a track record of successful research projects. Our group uses, mainly, neural networks in a Python programing environment, though we are expanding into molecular dynamics and biophysical modeling.
- Ideal applicants will be aiming for careers in academic research, but we will consider applicants looking for careers in industry.
- Postdoctoral applicants should be highly motivated and ready to work independently. Creativity and drive is highly valued. There will be substantial opportunities to manage other researchers and apply for funding (e.g. K awards). The goal should be to develop into an independent researcher with promising research program.
- Specific responsibilities and research projects will be tuned to the career goals, technical strengths, and interests of the applicant.
Interested applicants should send a CV, two references, and a brief career goal statement to Prof. Swamidass. His email is his last name at gmail dot com.